Friday 8 april 2011
Posted in: 2010-2011 - 1ère LV2
today we first worked on defining Ireland a bit more and on correcting your homework.
Here is what we said and wrote in your copybooks:
Adjectives to qualify Ireland:
- Wild / rural : Eire is wild and rural because there are not a lot of cities. The countryside has an
- colourful: The country is colourful because there are lots of colours in the architecture of the
- traditional: Irish people like traditions and many still speak Gaelic, the traditional Celtic language.
- independent: Contrary to Ulster which belongs to the UK, Eire is
an independent nation / State.
- Catholic: Eire is mostly Catholic whereas Ulster is mostly Protestant.
- attractive / gorgeous landscapes
Then we first listened (without watching) to the following video. You had to guess thanks to the sounds only what was happening, who the characters, where it took
You can watch the video again below:
Here is what we said about the video:
The video: Extract #1
The scene takes place in England, more precisely in Guilford in 1974, i.e. (LW:
that's to say) 2 years after the beginning of "The Troubles".
Four people are walking in the street and entering a pub. They look / seem happy. They are going to a pub to have a drink / to have fun when a bomb
It's an attack.
Who is reponsible for the
The Catholics are probably responsible for the attack.
The Irish Republican Army (the I.R.A.) may be responsible for the bomb / for
planting the bomb.
(to) plant a bomb.
They may have planted the bomb because there was a war of religions and territories.
HW: learn your lesson! and enjoy your break.